Looking for a way to give back to the community? Volunteering with Top Honors is a great chance to help kids, meet like-minded volunteers, and contribute to a better tomorrow. Best of all, it’s fun and rewarding.
Whether you’d like to tutor students in math or volunteer other services, we welcome your help. And, because our program focuses on fundamentals, you don’t need to be a math genius; we provide training and mentoring so you’re confident in your abilities.
Top Honors believes in the power of camaraderie. There are quarterly social events to bring together the amazing professionals that make up our powerful volunteer base. We encourage one another on our commitment to delivering meaningful and impactful mentoring experiences.
Join us for the ride!
Volunteers are required to attend a two-hour orientation and training session where you will learn about our curriculum, operational processes, and teaching methods. In addition, Top Honors hosts periodic tutor development sessions throughout the year.
Top Honors tutors attend a minimum of 80% of scheduled weekly sessions. That's 3 sessions a month during our tutoring year.
If that’s not possible, you might consider volunteering in other ways, such as curriculum development and fundraising. If you're looking for a leadership opportunity, perhaps our Junior Board is for you.
When and Where
Tutoring sessions are held at two convenient locations.
Top Honors tutors on the Upper West Side and Downtown Brooklyn locations.
- Saturdays, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Saturdays, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (begins in November, UWS only)
Directions are available on our Contact Us page.
“Top Honors has been a life-changing experience. I am going back to school…to become a math teacher!” — Tutor
Who You’ll Help
Our students are middle school students — 5th-8th graders. While open to any NYC students, many attend public schools in NYC District 3 (the neighborhood in which our site is located). We work with motivated students who commit to weekly participation and who have high levels of parental support.
What You’ll Do
Our program uses teamwork, games, fast-paced exercises, and real-life examples to help students rapidly improve their math abilities. You’ll work in both group settings and one-on-one with the same students each week, helping to assess their skills and improve in key areas.
If you’re interested in getting your math on or volunteering in other ways with Top Honors, submit an application to get started and we'll contact you.
Other Ways to Volunteer Besides Tutoring
Have amazing skills to lend but tutoring isn't your thing? Good news! We're looking for help with:
- On-site photographer to take shots for digital and print marketing collateral.
- On-site videographer to create how-to videos on operational processes, events, and tutoring sessions.
- On-site weekly administrators to grade assessments, log data, review curriculum for content clarity and accuracy, monitor students, be friendly faces to students, help navigate new students and tutors through their first days.
- Fundraisers to assist with development efforts including campaign implementation and marketing.
- Event planners to seek out and plan events at hot spots for volunteer socials.
- Graphic designers to create and design marketing print collateral. Individuals with experience translating data into meaningful infographics are encouraged to apply.
- Be a young leader and consider serving on our Junior Board.
Please submit a volunteer application using the same links for tutors above. You will identify yourself as a non-tutor applicant as you work your way through the prompts.
Still Have Questions?
Still have questions? Shoot us an e-mail at email@example.com. We can't wait to hear from you!